« Chris Brown arrested for assaulting Rihanna in car? | Main | Honey it's not your son - Confession »

No more Daggering songs says Broadcasting Commission

Daggering With A Difference
daggeringdutty-fridayz-party-jamaica-beach-photos.jpgJamaica’s Broadcasting Commission recently sent directives to several Radio, TV and Cable Operators to pull all Daggering songs/videos from their playlist. This will be the first time in Jamaica’s history that a series of songs singing about the same topic all be banned at the same time. Below is a statement from the Broadcasting Commission on actions and recent directives relating to Broadcasting Media content.

Broadcasting Commission’s Statement

The Commission assures the public that it continues to actively work with broadcast licensees, the Minister of Information, the Media Association of Jamaica, the Jamaica Association of Community Cable Operators, the Entertainment Fraternity and other stakeholders to bring a halt to the deluge of inappropriate content on the airwaves. The public will have already seen and should continue to expect strong disciplinary action against those who fail to cooperate and comply with the broadcasting regulations.

The Commission has examined a number of songs, popularly referred to as “daggering songs”. “Daggering” is a colloquial term or phrase used in dancehall culture as a reference to hardcore sex or what is popularly referred to as “dry” sex, or the activities of persons engaged in the public simulation of various sexual acts and positions. The Commission has found these recordings to be explicitly sexual and violent, contrary to the provisions of Regulation 30(d) and Regulation 30(l) of the Television and Sound Broadcasting Regulations, which state:

30. No licensee shall permit to be transmitted -
(d) any indecent or profane matter, so, however, that any broadcast to which regulation 26 relates shall be deemed not to be indecent; Reg. 30(d)
(l) any portrayal of violence which offends against good taste, decency or public morality. Reg. 30(l)

This content also offends against the tenets of the Children’s Code for Programming. Consequently, the following directive has been issued to Broadcasters:

DIRECTIVE TO LICENCEES
1. There shall not be transmitted through radio or television or cable services, any recording, live song or music video which promotes the act of ‘daggering’, or which makes reference to, or is otherwise suggestive of ‘daggering’.
2. There shall not be transmitted through radio or television or cable services, any audio recording, song or music video which employs editing
techniques of ‘bleeping’ or ‘beeping’ of its original lyrical content.
3. Programme managers and station owners or operators are hereby required to take immediate steps to prevent transmission of any recorded material relating to ‘daggering’ or which fall into the category of edited musical content using techniques of ‘bleeping’ or ‘beeping’.

CHANGES TO THE BROADCASTING REGULATIONS
The Commission has already recommended to government important changes to the law governing broadcasting and which are intended to be tabled in Parliament soon. The changes include:
• The introduction of financial sanctions for breaches of the regulations. Ensuring that the compilation of music charts is in accordance with an approved methodology.
• Maintaining playlists and programme logs of music played for examination by the Commission and accredited rights agencies.
• Evidence of approval of music sheets and playlists by station management before any song or video is transmitted.
• The arrangements for inclusion of local cable channels within the group of directly regulated operators, further to recent changes in the Broadcasting and Radio Re-Diffusion Act.

EXPANDED CITIZEN-BASED MONITORING
The Commission recognizes the critical role that citizens can and should play in monitoring the numerous radio and television channels that exist. In this regard, the Commission encourages continued submission of complaints about problematic content on electronic media. As a response to the increase in broadcasting and cable outlets, the Commission itself will be establishing islandwide Citizen based Media Monitors to assist in more comprehensive and effective monitoring of radio and television output. The media monitors will be drawn from diverse age groups, communities and organizations across the country. The Commission is also accepting volunteers.

CONTACTING THE COMMISSION
Members of the public are encouraged to support the Commission in monitoring the airwaves and reporting any breach of the directive or otherwise transmission of inappropriate content.
The Broadcasting Commission may be contacted at 1-888-99-CABLE (22253). Email messages can also be sent to info@broadcom.org to report complaints or to seek additional information.

SIGNED: BROADCASTING COMMISSION

Seriously:
Posted by Seriously | February 9, 2009 11:45 AM

If they are going to ban these songs because of what they insinuate, then they shoulnd ban Soca Music and ban carnival too.

As Kartel say, They are a bunch of hypocrites

CELEBRITY:
Posted by CELEBRITY | February 9, 2009 12:19 PM

EVEN THOUGH I DON'T AGREE WITH THE BAN, BY THE LOOKS OF SOME OF THESE DVD, SOME PEOPLE REALLY OD ON THE DAGGERING!!!
ON THE OTHER HAND, I WOULD RATHER THEY DAGGER THAN KILL.INSTEAD OF BANNING DAGGER SONGS, THEY SHOULD WORK TOWARDS FINDING A BALANCE.

toni:
Posted by toni | February 9, 2009 12:41 PM

I don't agree that the songs should be all together banned, just placed in a time that is much suited for the contents like after 10, where most of the children are sleeping. The daggering songs are lewd but it's the same as soca and i don't see them banning all the soca songs...They really need to be fair, and don't act like the 'daggering songs' are so far off than the soca songs...

pat:
Posted by pat | February 9, 2009 12:48 PM

is soca music daggering too?

HMM:
Posted by HMM | February 9, 2009 12:50 PM

Ban Soca along with it too.. Im sick of hearing these songs.. Is this what reggae and Dancehall come. Man the music was about good taste and vibez! What is it today sex,drugs, money and war..

KIMMY:
Posted by KIMMY | February 9, 2009 12:52 PM

BAN CARNIVAL MUSIC TOO! THIS COUNTRY IS TOO DAMN CLASSIST! I WISH EVERYDOWNTOWN PEOPLE WILL KNOW THAT THEY HAVE A VOICE TOO AND HOLD A DAMN PROTEST!
UPTOWN PEOPLE WRITE F**KERY IN THE PAPER AND USE THEIR MONEY TO SURVIVE SO WE CAN DO THAT TOO AND GO PROTEST! THIS COUNTRY IS TOO DAMN CLASSIST!!

CHOONKS:
Posted by CHOONKS | February 9, 2009 1:08 PM

They're right.. n no they shudnt ban soca becuz, all genres of music r sexual, but the point here is that the concept of daggering is too vulgar and violent..i.e rough sex,rape,sexual assualt. And jus the whole idea of a man daggering a woman sounds soo unpleasant to other cultures..so ban it..they're RRRIGHT. EVen inna de slackness there must b sum limits..

Posted by Protina | February 9, 2009 1:15 PM

I definately do not agree with the all inclusive ban of these songs I think that some other decisions could have been reached by the B commission because there are a lot of songs that have high sexual content which exclude the word "dagger" as toni said create a time frame for these songs since its such problem regarding children.

"a just because mi c*cky" song should be banned because i dont hear any beeping when it is being played on the radio

this is Ridiculous banning all the songs what a stress!!!!!!!!!!

nuff more songs left fi ban dem....(sigh)

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 1:53 PM

i dont agree with them untill they star to0 accept dancehall music for what it really is they also do danngering because many people who r apart of this plot to ban the songs they r at the dance dong them too in the clubs until they star sells dance hall music them there r going to be problem them if go way therew r allways the mix cd and dance move from say so

Can:
Posted by Can | February 9, 2009 2:05 PM

I agree the songs & videos are becoming too sexually explicit, especially now that I have a child who will have to come up in this society. But hell, look how long (months) these songs and subsequent videos have been released. Broadcasting Commission needs to wake up, or better yet, fire the people that are there now & get some younger people with the specific function of going to the dances in order to quickly identify the sexually explicit songs out there. It's like they just realise seh the daggering dance and daggering as a whole is related to sex! (LOL). What, if people don't complain unnu cant do unna job Broadcasting Commission?

Parents are supposed to protect their children, but as the pickney dem grow dem start go street and that's where the exposure sometimes happen. I love my raunchy music, but I dont want my child exposed to it as an everyday part of life. Too much sexual perversion are already out there, so I dont want to see any child accepting this vivid display of constant erotica as normal.

unknown:
Posted by unknown | February 9, 2009 2:19 PM

simple jus mek we bun dun Jamaica’s Broadcasting Commission!!!! lol if dem nuh waan ban DUTTY SOCA MUSIC TOO

DEFENDER:
Posted by DEFENDER | February 9, 2009 2:35 PM

The artist them fi use other words such as ding dong fi (c*cky). and maybe tun tun fi (p*ssy), cause it is too raw fi a use certain words weh school pickney a hear.....In soca dem use tactics like--water the garden and soldering instead of p*ssy.....So them fi use them sense and be smart by using other words but have same effect.....

Baby La-La:
Posted by Baby La-La | February 9, 2009 3:07 PM

When are we as a people gonna start to take responsibility fot the things we do, say and in this instance sing. The music we put out portray our lifestyles... I am a woman with a man who has sex and I do not feel the need to have my genitals rammed in such a manner that I would be hurt in the end. I do however feel that Soca is looked past because they do not blatantly use words such as cocky, pu$$y they use metaphors. Now Jamaicans like to bring the private to mainstream and as stated in an earlier posting there has to be some sort of limit in the slackness. Stabbing from what I know is an act of violence and not pelvic thrusting. People... please understand that young boys and young girls(non-adults) are taking on this new craze of bending over and hurtfully humping each other. I mean what do we leave for the bedroom? Why would you want to have your homies open my legs wide in the air so you can jump down from a Speaker box 8 feet high into my crouch? Women are Human with feelings and dropping your body weight on me can cause serious damage to my vagina as well as the socket that connects my legs to my hip bone. Be real... understand how we ourselves as a people have made it so bad that the government has found a need to interject.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 4:51 PM

yhow d The Commission a chichi

sandra:
Posted by sandra | February 9, 2009 4:56 PM

EVEN THO I DONT AGREE WITH THEM BANNING SONGS.....THEY SHOULD HAVE BANNED A LOT OF OTHERS SONGS TOO! IF THEY WANT TO GET TECHINCAL, THEY SHOULD LOOK AT OTHER ARTIST WHO PUT SLACKNESS OUT THERE!

a:
Posted by a | February 9, 2009 5:07 PM

WELL JUST A NUMBER OF POINTS :
1) THEYRE FAR TOO LATE
2)NOT ONLY DANCEHALL SONGS ARE HIGHLY SEXUAL EXPLICIT e.g HIP HOP, SOCA ETC,
3)THEY ARE JUST TRYING TO BLAME DANCEHALL MUSIC FOR THEIR IMMORAL SOCIETY. A LOT OF THESE PROTESTANTS ARE LIVING "DOG LIFE" AT HOME & BASHING THE MUSIC,
4)NUFF A DEM CANT CONTROL THEIR CHILDREN,
5)WE HAVE BIGGER PROBLEMS THAN TO TARGET LYRICS THAT YOU DONT HAVE TO LISTEN TO
CONCLUSION : ITS RIDICULOUS!!!!

tugis*:
Posted by tugis* | February 9, 2009 5:25 PM

f**k the broadcasting crew!
girl dem must vex, becuh uno wha spoil di fun fi di girls.
DAGGERING FI DI GIRL DEM
STR8

Cotes:
Posted by Cotes | February 9, 2009 6:09 PM

Ppl well want dace boring

Wow:
Posted by Wow | February 9, 2009 6:59 PM

Why are people actually tryin to defend lewd songs being played on radio?

It's not like the songs are banned from being played in the dancehall, where they belong. Certain songs don't belong on the radio.

It shud be taken further and music on buses should be against the law, just allow fm/am radios.

It matters not the genre of music, if it's wrong for dancehall it's wrong for all other forms of music.

Songs should be banned from the getgo, not after they get popular & someone comment.

DI REAL1:
Posted by DI REAL1 | February 9, 2009 7:51 PM

The broadcasting commission lost again. Look how long daggering a gwaan and them just a ban it. Personally I do not see anything wrong with daggering. I think it is better than doing crime. After all everybody is entitled to their stupid opinion. I still think that laws should be put in place to create a balance and protect the innocent in this case the children and I support this 100%. The BC dem need to stop the hyprocrisy. Soca should be banned then and then again a once a year wi listen dem kind a music deh so f**k them too because we no need dem. Daggering me say straight till a mornin.

Ps Are they going to remove the daggering condom from the shelves?

tasmin:
Posted by tasmin | February 9, 2009 10:04 PM

I'm all for the rights of women especially our black women. However, what do you do when the black woman allows herself to be degraded and humiliated? I have a "thing" with black women in videos. I desire better for them than. Tell me, is it worth all that time and, possibly, the little bit or no money you do receive? These men (the black man)can call you a queen and in the next breath cuss you for all you are worth. You are worth so much more, my sisters. There is much hope and a beautiful future for our black women. We are people to be respected. Don't allow yourselves to be degraded. We get enough of that from non-blacks/non people of color already. Take a stand!!!
We must however keep in mind that not all woman are created equal. Thank God we were raised to hold ourselves in high regard as black women should. Yes we are beautiful and intelligent!!!! And black men should not be fostering such conduct in their black women!!!

These people need coaching and guidance and have much to learn. I truly hope they come to acknowledge their lack of awareness and in time correct your behavior by first looking into themselves.

Daggering is an embassement to Jamaica. Sex without clothes, low class and nasty. Stupid low class girls with no morals or respect for themselves. Don't forget the pimps, the perpretators of the slackness.

jamlass2000:
Posted by jamlass2000 | February 9, 2009 10:12 PM

this what reggae come dem daggering a pure garbage don't get me wrong mi a hardcore dance hall lover but dem can do better these video r too sexually explicit I'm watching a DVD the other night goodness gracious why are these girls so worthless i see marvin ripping this gal shorts and draws this how we teaching our young children to treat woman. the girls have no shame standard moral.man use travle to jamaica to look a wife a getto girl but seen all these bullsh*t ban dem daggering crap.

Tacious is a GOOD LOOK:
Posted by Tacious is a GOOD LOOK | February 10, 2009 12:10 AM

Tasmin has a point.
Hell, everyone who commented has a point
But realize that it's all about ethic. Is it morally right to display such crude acts of sexual moves on television? Where the viewing public is so broad? I don't think so.
Granted, it is in our culture however, there are a handful of those who DO NOT want to see a man daggering a woman like his life depended on it. Maybe it is uncomfortable to some, did anyone think about that.
I know there are many people who feel that the banning is wrong, but be reminded if this was else where like the States or Canada, that stuff couldn't be found in the magazines, televisions and such. Also, young impressionable children are watching thus gaining an distorted how women and men are regarded in Jamaica. Without a doubt Jamaica is a lovely place with even lovelier people, but do you really want to be seen as a nation that f**ks anything that walks? Let alone 'dagga dat'? It's about impressions and daggering is not making a good one.
For some its fun, for some it is downright crude and nasty. To each his own. Who knows how the JBC came about banning the daggering, maybe they recieved many complaints from the public. I don't care to watch it though, I think it's funny as hell, but as afore mentioned...it just isnt entertaining to some and as Tasmin states it's a degradation of women and guess what men too and that just does not sit right with many, apparently.

Chelle:
Posted by Chelle | February 10, 2009 8:28 AM

Banning these songs naah stop pickney from f**k so what is their aim. I'm an accounting clerk n i love d songs....does that make me a b*tch or a whore. The songs play in my house, lil kids gna ask q, jus explain n let dem kno dem nuh ready. Bannin d songs wont hide nutn from dem, weh dem nuh kno bout dem a guh waaah experiment. Wen carnival a gwaan inna broad day light n di ppl dem a patrol roun 1/4 naked, n a gwaan bad pon d road, how dem naah seh nutn. Miss tyson write d article bout rampin shop n all others cauz a cripple huzzy mek nutn naah gwaan in her rampin shop. From me a guh rden mi sick a her. Like a waah she waah d pickney guh lean. she did ban huggin between girl n bwoy n holdin hands but if d same sex whether boy or girl a do it, she naaah seh nutn. Unnu notice how christian pickney eva bad, sneakin n bad nuh hell. Dem play d holiest (kno nuh word nuh guh suh) set a songs inna dem house n dem pickney still bad. y?

Tasmin:
Posted by Tasmin | February 10, 2009 10:02 AM

@Chelle Yes, you are right kids have been f*cking before daggering came about. Right now it does not put a postive on Jamaica. Have you ever wonder if dggering is one of the contribions to the increase in sexual crimes against children in Jamaica.

I've seen some of these videos and I see young kids under twelve watching these actions. Moreover, I these young children know these negative lyrics as oppose to their school work. I want better for my Jamaica I want better for my people.

Tasmin:
Posted by Tasmin | February 10, 2009 10:19 AM

@Chelle Yes, you are right kids have been f*cking before daggering came about. Right now it does not put a positive light on Jamaica. Have you ever wonder if daggering is one of the contributions to the increase in sexual crimes against children in Jamaica.

I've seen some of these videos and I see young kids under twelve watching these actions. Moreover, these young children know these negative lyrics as oppose to their school work. I want better for my Jamaica I want better for my people.

2008-2009 Jamaican have made many strides don't over shadow all the positive with slackness...keep my Jamaican beautiful.

@ Tacious thank you for reiterating my comments, nice to know that we have strong black women with morals.

Posted by preps | February 10, 2009 11:29 AM

Ok people; i agree with the Broadcasting Commission stopping certain songs from playing on the air waves, however, i believe that the Broadcasting commission are being hypocritical. I have seen The ELITE ( di uptownies) embrace soca /carnival music and THAT IS NOT OUR CULTURE; REGGAE AND DANCE HALL MUSIC IS APART OF US. Ive seen where they have broadcasted carnival on both tv stations; you see people in skimpy outfits;man whining pan man and woman whining pan woman in board day light "di height of nastiness" and they dont think thats sending a negative message to children;HELLO!! Di broadcasting commision are a bunch of hypocrites dem want a bloodcl*t kick inna dem r*ss

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2009 1:03 PM

i think that it is too late for the Broadcasting Commission to banned theses songs because children are already exposed to them and understand what it means, and if they banned it then it will only make them more inquisitive.

Jermz:
Posted by Jermz | February 10, 2009 3:37 PM

We might as well turn JA back into a colony because everything that's uniquely Jamaican gets a fight from Jamaicans. I do agree that much of the music of today is tainted by violence and hyper-sexuality but at the same time these things are what is prevalent in the golbal culture. We import movies that are filled with graphic scenes and its no problem but as soon as its reggae theres a fight. As the prophet Capelton says "we caan free fi dumb we muss free fi speak." We need to not be banning dancehall activities but instead keep them in their proper place. Children should not be kept away from what sex is but they should be counselled by adults(preferably their parents) as to what is proper and whats not proper. It is not the music that proliferates the rape instances it is rather sexual frustration. Countries like Japan that have openness to sexuality have far less rape and other sexual abuses. Education is the key because things that are hidden will be misunderstood. Parents need to take responsibility for their children and the government need to be more worried about real crimes and poverty and Jamaica's future instead of meddling with insignificant personal affairs.

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2009 4:42 PM

if dem ago a band daggerin song dem fi band gun song too thats the way i look at it.

DANCEHALL:
Posted by DANCEHALL | February 10, 2009 5:31 PM

YO.... ALL MY ARTIST

MEK THEM KEEP THE RADIO AND WE KEEP THE DANCEHALL !

NOW PEOPLE WILL SPEND THEM MONEY TO GO TO DANCEHALL AND HEAR NEW MUSIC NOT THE SAME SH$T YOU HEAR ON RADIO....

SO MONEY STILL A RUN !!!!!

Posted by dancerzblvd | February 10, 2009 7:25 PM

I don't think they should band these songs! But its the Freedom of expression is what's going too far. Boundaries, We need to set some form of boundaries for our culture. Especially the expression of dancing. It gone too far now people music our expressions goes hand in hand. So if the artist make it the dancers go and create the movement for it. And that has been apart of our entertainment for quite a while. There Its time to uplift the culture of JA. And taking those songs down is a start. Manny look down on our entertainment just because of the explicit activities in our dancehall. EVOLUTION. Time to move ahead for artist change.

CELEBRITY:
Posted by CELEBRITY | February 11, 2009 10:20 AM

AFTER ALL IS SAID AND DONE,BOTTOM LINE TO SOLVING ALL THIS PROBLEM IS EDUCATION! TEACH THE KIDS RIGHT FROM WRONG BUT DON'T KEEP THEM IN THE DARK.STOP THE VIOLENCE BECAUSE WAR WILL NEVER EVER SOLVE ANYTHING.WE KEEP FIGHTING AMONGST OURSELVES ON THESE ISSUES,WE NEED TO COME TOGETHER AND FIND A SOLUTION.
A WISE PERSON WILL FIND A WAY TO SOLVE AN ISSUE WITHOUT WAR, THAT IS THE ONLY RIGHT WAY AND I GUESS THAT IS WHY MOST OF OUR ISSUES ARE NOT SOLVED BECAUSE WE ARE TOO BUSY FIGHTING.

Dada:
Posted by Dada | February 12, 2009 11:24 AM

More daggering... stop fight daggering n go fight buggery (buggering)
Y is there so much uproar abt Daggering when it was ordain from man's creation to reproduce, to multiply, which can only be achieved through sex... Since they've come up with their definition of daggering as being rough sex, does it matter what kind of sex gets a girl pregnant?.....

And just in case u no know, Daggering, whether u like it or not it is a dance, just like no linga, sweep, willy bounce, etc.

There's nothing wrong with monitoring what's played on the airwaves but this seem more like an attack on a culture n on our freedom of speech, freedom of expression. So weh dem a seh, daggering is now an indecent word, since it's no longer radio, or electronic media friendly? They construed the word to effect their desired actions...

Bump n Grind(R. Kelly) still a play pon radio, I kissed a girl (Katie Perry), dollar whine, saltfish (Sparrow), candy shop (50 Cent), trading places (Usher) to name a few....How bout Tv programming, look how much movies and cartoons come on with negative story lines n lots of bleeps like the simpsons n so on, dem nah pull dem deh to?

The Broadcasting commission is just another hypocritical, self righteous, self-centered board, filled with a bag a boasty slaves.....

Posted by Nicola Campbell | February 23, 2009 4:38 PM

My God it is high time that the broadcasting comission did something about these leud lyrics that these dancehall artist are singing, i think that the government should allow artiste to be licensed before singing to the public, teachers, lawyers and other persons from other professions have to be trained before they can practiced, why cant we have a degree and a diploma for artiste as well after all they are making millons of dollars.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2010 12:45 PM