« Sizzla Kalonji Performs for Zimbabwe's President | Main | Lisa Hyper Message To Vybz Kartel (Gaza) »

Cherine Rocks Madison Square Garden

cherine_anderson_reggae.jpgAfter an exciting weekend where Cherine Anderson rocked back to back, sold out nights at the famed Madison Square Garden, her signature voice chanting "Come Down, Selector!" was heard in a surprising place; blasting from an intro on CNN's morning show. As the hit song "Say Hey (I Love You)" rang out to start the day for countless viewers, it capped off an amazing weekend for Cherine in the Big Apple!

There are very few things that could stop the determined Dancehall-Soulstress from giving a memorable and energetic performance. Braving freezing temperatures and a snowstorm that dumped over 20 inches of snow in New York's Central Park, Cherine came out blazing, bringing Jamaican sunshine and her Dancehall-Soul energy to two sold out performances at the famed Madison Square Garden.

On the first night, Cherine took the stage like a storm and really got the crowd up and moving. Dressed in a classic custom made blazer of royal blue with neon orange accents, Cherine represented more than just Jamaica, she also represented New York by wearing the team colors of the New York Knicks. Backstage she was again rewarded with positive feedback for her performance including a compliment of "great performance" from Warner Music Group's Vice Chairman, Lyor Cohen.

On the second night, Anderson delighted the audience as she rushed onto the stage excitedly and started the show asking, "New York, yuh ready? Cause dis is a Dancehall-Soul ting"! Her entrance ignited many to stand up for what was an impressive one hour set filled with Dancehall-Soul-Rebel-Rocking goodness. The back to back Madison Square Garden performances were a first for both Cherine and Michael Franti & Spearhead.

Cherine continues to make a statement with her powerful voice as well as her unbelievable onstage presence. As we spoke with her, it was clear that her first appearance inside Madison Square Garden really meant a lot to the up and coming starlet. "I really am in awe of this venue. There have been so many legends that have performed on this stage. I just get goose bumps being in this building." Performing alongside Michael Franti & Spearhead, the onstage chemistry was a real delight for the fans in the arena. On this New York tour stop Cherine continued her movement of appreciating new fans and charming current fans as she took time to meet them and sign autographs.

According to Cherine, "As the tour continues I am learning a lot of positive things which are only making me a better performer. I am enjoying meeting the many music fans throughout the tour and having a chance to thank them for their support."

Sherine:
Posted by Sherine | March 3, 2010 1:11 PM

U go girl...when the rest of dem deh yah a fight pon shows like Follow Di Arrow u ah sell out Madison Square Garden. Vybez Kartel and Lisa Swiper what unuh know bout Madison Square Garden. Y'all DJ are so fool. Go Cherine 2 di top wi say!

Alicia:
Posted by Alicia | March 3, 2010 10:09 PM

I think she opening with Spearhead for John Mayer. This girl and her management a pre some different ting. Dem a move inna some different league. Cherine talented

ohwell:
Posted by ohwell | March 4, 2010 6:13 PM

well we all know cherine is talentd but no one went out to see her she is no differnt from a back up psinger trust me

Anika :
Posted by Anika | March 5, 2010 1:23 AM

Cherine Anderson is a young artist that is extremely talented. Unlike many Jamaican singers she building a real fanbase and getting expose to people most Jamaican acts will never see. I applaud you Cherine.

@ Ohwell she cant be a backup singer when her name is on hit records, billboard charts as a featured artist for all who can read to see. Plus I have seen her perform right here in NYC at Nokia Theatre and Terminal 5 and she tore the place down. I am Trini and I could count the handful of Jamaicans or caribbean people in the crowd and the place was full. Why should she care she is taking her music to people who understand real talent and dont mind paying to see a great show

Cherine Anderson is possibly jamaica's next biggest international star. Go Cherine

jahwah:
Posted by jahwah | March 5, 2010 1:40 PM

ok..........not hating just stating some facts. while am happy to see cherine getting work, we should just called her work what it really is...she's a backup singer for michael frantz n spearhead....look at the song'say hey i love you'......she has just two lines at the start'pull up selector and 'hey papi i love you'. when she do get a chance to be on stage alone, she's doing a rendition of one of bob marley's song(bob marley dont need her to promote his music). her material is not getting out there.people tend to forget a face, if you dont give them something to remember you by....good that she's touring with john mayer, getting that road experience, but her materials are not being heard.

Junior:
Posted by Junior | March 5, 2010 6:20 PM

Cherine mi love you. Stay strong and focus empress Dancehall Soul wi seh. Bless up

David:
Posted by David | March 6, 2010 3:15 AM

I've seen Cherine several times with Franti and I've even bought her EP after hearing her perform her own songs. I remember the first time I saw her in Chico California she did a song called "Talk if you talking" I was so moved by her voice I just wanted to hear more."How Many More" is a tear jerker.

I also like her on songs like "Little Bit a Riddem" with Franti but I didnt know anything about her music until I saw her open for Franti so it cant be a bad thing. Cherine presence is so big it often takes the attention from Franti. Lot's of singers build this way she has gained more fans playing to Franti's audience than playing only reggae shows. She is talented I would bet my money on her all she needs now is a full length CD. I love this girl

Farrah:
Posted by Farrah | March 6, 2010 1:05 PM

CHerrrrrrrrrriiineee I remember this chick from Excelsior Primary she was always passionate about music and acting. Congrats on your success. When are going to do more movies you are such a great actress

MJ:
Posted by MJ | March 6, 2010 1:09 PM

Cherine is a beautiful,articulate, talented and determined Jamaican woman. I applaud her achievements!!! She is not a back up singer!!!! She's well respected as a performer by Franti (as per his glowing comments on stage and interviews) and is given the opportunity to showcase her own material/talents.She is flying the Jamaican flag very high, so let us all be proud of the sister. The next Caribbean International star fa sure!!!

Devon Bailey:
Posted by Devon Bailey | March 6, 2010 3:44 PM

She is one of the most humble young Jamaican artist i've had the pleasure of interviewing in recent years. She is extremely smart and might I add gorgeous. Keep flying the Jamaican flag high Cherine. You are one we Jamaicans can all be proud of. Go for the sky lady, more great things ahead.

Vanessa: