« D-Major - "The Golden Voice" | Main | Bounty Killer - Vybz Kartel Sting Face Off? »

Steelie Reflects on Steely: Steelie Bashment Mourns the Death of His Namesake

steely_and_clevie_456_001.jpg

I am deeply saddened by the passing of Wycliffe 'Steely' Johnson. His passing is a tremendous loss to the Dancehall industry, and a tremendous loss to me personally -- Steely is the man who sparked my love of music and inspired me to be a selector.

Talk to anyone who grew up with me, and they'll tell you that I idolized Steely from Silver Hawk Sound. When I struggling to establish myself as a selector in the early days, I adopted the name 'Steelie' with the goal to one day have my own sound and be at the top of the game -- like Steely.

As part of the legendary production team Steely & Clevie, Steely gave us those signature sounds like the Punanny Rhythm, the Street Sweeper Rhythm, Skettel...Nine Night...Sniper...Sleepy Dog...I could go on and on and on. He was part of the genius behind Dancehall classics like Shabba's "Ting-A-Ling," and "Twice My Age;" "Sorry" by Foxy Brown; "Double Trouble" by Beres Hammond; "Boops" by Supercat; "Murder Dem" by Ninja Man; "Ram Dancehall" by Tiger; "Hot Gyal Today" by Sean Paul & Vegas...and that's not even the half.

I met Steely about 10-12 years ago in Studio 2000. He said he had heard about me; I told him I named myself after him because I respected him and what he did with Silver Hawk--and that was it. It was all of ten seconds and I never saw him again. However, I will always be greatful that I took that one moment to let him know how much he inspired me.

His contribution to Dancehall music is immeasurable.
His impact on my life is unforgettable.
Music without him is inconceivable.

My sincere condolences to his family and loved ones.

Rest in Peace.

--Steelie Bashment--

southy:
Posted by southy | September 2, 2009 1:23 PM

all dem tune deh weh mention a real dancehall classics. respect STEELIE BASHMENT. RIP STEELY

Posted by ladyann | September 2, 2009 3:34 PM

rip steely, i remember i was a bout 15/16 going to chanell 1 studio and steely was making a rythm or a beat, he would tell me to dance i dance and he find the key, steely u gone but u music live on. it sad to say. but i still member the words u say to me a record factory, rip steely

carlene:
Posted by carlene | September 2, 2009 5:23 PM

will always love you R.I.P steely

jennifer:
Posted by jennifer | September 3, 2009 4:50 AM

steelie ur work in music has taken dance hall music to the next level and name like u and clievie will always liv on i have met u and we became good friends back then about 12yrs ago and you are one of the nicest and warmest person i have ever met so ur passing has really tiuch my heat ur gone but not forgetton u are n wil b always in my heart

LIFEFORCE PRODUCTION:
Posted by LIFEFORCE PRODUCTION | September 3, 2009 8:18 AM

I met Steely in 1982 when i was a young aspiring artist trying to get into the music business we immediately had a musical connection , he was a very jovial person always laughing and giving jokes yet when it was time to work he was a very serious musician. Steely was responsible for producing one of my most popularly known songs "STOP DEM" In Steely the music industry found a musical genious with a light that shined so bright opening many doors for a lot of artist the list too long to mention. A giant corner stone of the reggae music industry, he will be sadly missed. R.I.P--STEELY. Papa Biggy.

laba:
Posted by laba | September 3, 2009 12:15 PM

RIP MR STEELY, MUSIC IS LIFE AND SO YOUR LIFE GOES ON THROUGH THE MUSIC, CONDOLANCES GOES OUT TO YOUR FAMILY AT THIS VERY SAD TIME, PEACE.

stewie:
Posted by stewie | September 3, 2009 1:28 PM

R.I.P STEELY

IMPERIAL PRODUCTION:
Posted by IMPERIAL PRODUCTION | September 4, 2009 11:45 AM

JAH KNOW STEELY WE REALLY A MOURN YU PASSING CAUSE YU A ONE OF THE CORNER STONE FI REGGAE AND DANCEHALL. WE WISH YOUR FAMILY AND KIDS ALL THE BEST AND WI JUST WANT TO TELL THEM BE STRONG. YOUR PRODUCTION WILL ALWAYS BE AROUND FOR GENERATIONS TO LISTEN. WE NEED TO KNOW WHEN THE FUNERAL IS TAKING PLACE SO WE CAN ATTEND. RIP STEELY---YOU WILL BE GREATLY MISSED.

Posted by Anonymous | September 4, 2009 1:28 PM

RIP Steely

LV:
Posted by LV | September 12, 2009 4:21 AM

The thanksgiving service for the life Steely takes place September 12 at 10 a.m. at the Swallowfield Chapel - 9 Swallowfield Road, Kingston 5.