« Assassin's lyrics to Pree Dis | Main | Reggae singer Luciano charged - harbouring a fugitive »

Dancehall star Assassin responds to abrupt removal from stage during Red Stripe Live performance

assassin-redstripe-live-show-jamaica.jpg

Dancehall artiste Jeffery "Assassin" Campbell's performance at the highly anticipated Red Stripe Live concert held over the weekend ends prematurely after he was escorted off stage for lines he uttered in one of his latest songs titled Pree This.

Here are a few lines from the song:
How so much fish deh yah like seh a sea this?
And pree this, dem gooda hear that an want say me dis
Well pree this, see a Bible yah, gwaan go read this
And tell mi whey yuh see say yuh fi a man yuh P?

Below is a statement from Assassin in his own words:

On Saturday March 28, 2009, my performance at the Red Stripe Live concert was ended prematurely and abruptly, as I was stripped of my microphone and escorted off stage. I have spent many years of hard work and sacrifice building my reputation and brand as an artist, with a great level of integrity and professionalism. Indeed, the decision to include me in the line-up of this particular event is testament to that. I therefore have a responsibility to my fans and the general public to explain exactly what took place.

Upon being booked for the event, the songs I would be performing in my set were submitted in their entirety (without edits) weeks in advance, as requested by the organizers of the event. I rehearsed the songs in their entirety, on two separate occasions, in the presence of representatives from Red Stripe. There was no written or verbal communication from Red Stripe indicating any disapproval of the planned set, nor any discomfort with any specific lyrics or song. During my final rehearsal, I was merely asked to bear in mind the nature of the show, and upon arrival at the venue I was given a generic briefing by the promoters. At this point, there was still no indication from the promoters of any issue or objection to the planned performance.

During my performance, I did not deviate in any way from the rehearsed set. I was therefore shocked when approximately eight minutes into the ten minutes I was allotted, I was forced to discontinue. I was subsequently accused of breaching company policy by using what the promoter labeled offensive and discriminatory lyrical content, specifically, the use of the word "fish" in the song titled "Pree This."

The promoter then demanded that I apologize to the audience, a demand to which I did not comply. I am very disappointed by the unprofessional manner in which the matter was handled. I am even more concerned about the potential damage that may be done to my reputation that I have worked so hard to achieve and maintain.

My management has since been contacted by Red Stripe's Maxine Whittingham-Osbourne, who admitted it was miscommunication among Red Stripe representatives rather than any wrong doing on my part that resulted in this whole incident. She also stated that after reviewing the lyrics of the song, agreed I did not break any of Red Stripe's company codes. She apologized for failing to communicate with me prior to my performance that any lyrics were deemed questionable.

I still feel the need to take this opportunity to assure those who support my music that I am in no way at fault for Saturday night's unfortunate incident. I will continue to exercise discretion in my work, and I remain committed to the high level of integrity that has come to be expected of me.

baddas:
Posted by baddas | March 31, 2009 5:26 AM

I see one brown short bwoy who a some brand or event manager for red stripe, and just to how the man walk you know him a one big perch. artiste no tek them show cause a same way wi bun them out,them a go try and embarrass the artiste by getting back at them in this way.

them need a check up from the neck up:
Posted by them need a check up from the neck up | March 31, 2009 5:56 AM

assasin is one of the best artist in the dancehall so i dont know why they are trying to assasinate his character,bun b*tty man and a only b*tty man vex.

dabz:
Posted by dabz | March 31, 2009 7:27 AM

no apology b*tty bouy fi bullet.

Posted by Protina | March 31, 2009 9:06 AM

Big up Assasin u a di real big man. How dem fi dis u suh on the show eh? dat nuh right....

PEACHES20782:
Posted by PEACHES20782 | March 31, 2009 9:33 AM

WATCH OUT JAMAICA, FREEDOM OF SPEECH WILL SOON BE A THING OF THE PAST IF THE GAY COMMUNITY HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT, SOME UP TOWN B*TTY MAN TEK OFFENSE AND TELL DEM FI PULL ASSASIN FROM THE SHOW. ARTISTIC FREEDOM IS BEING ATTACKED ON ALL LEVELS. GWAAN DO YOU TING YOUTH WHO GOD BLESS NO MAN CURSE.

doug:
Posted by doug | March 31, 2009 9:54 AM

So what is happening now. Homosexuals are free to express their choice but heterosexuals are not free to express their desent to this kind of activity? So whats next...we cant speak out against bestiality? We cant speak out against behaviour that we believe is morally wrong. So what Red Stripe is saying pastors should not preach against homosexuality either? BULLSH*T!!!! UNUH FI STOP DRINK NOT ONLY RED STRIPE BEER BUT EVERY PRODUCT THAT DIAGEO PRODUCES

abba blade:
Posted by abba blade | March 31, 2009 10:08 AM

dj keep on doin the good work u r doin bless.

Posted by yes | March 31, 2009 10:40 AM

jamaicans unuuh wise up, dont you u seeeee whats happening, there will be no place to grow children in the future, if red stripe and all these faggot supporters exist. listen up!!!, stop bow fi dem b*tty bwouy money, find simplicity and overstand self reliance. mi gone

Foxy:
Posted by Foxy | March 31, 2009 11:02 AM

Assassin you a one DJ whey mi love and RESPECT, the man is not only fine as hell!! But educated, and I respect that so much. I listen to an interview he did and I was so impressed.

So I say this…………… a one a the best artist dem inna JA rite now whey a represent dancehall in a positive way.
Now if batty man and RED STRIP a fite against the man a fi dem lost, they are nothing but some hypocrites, they are allowed to talk about their dutty stinking lifestyle, yet we are not allowed to voice how it makes us sick, the way they live.

Freedom a speech B*tty Tekers and Red Strip and wi won’t stop bun uno out.

southy:
Posted by southy | March 31, 2009 11:41 AM

ASSASIN shouldnt did agree fi submit no lyrics fi nuh song weeks in advance . dat alone show say yuh a bow down to dem . if dem a book yuh fi perform dat alone shoulda good enough. dem nuh suppose to get nuh lyrics fi censor

dji95:
Posted by dji95 | March 31, 2009 12:52 PM

I like this response i shows a great deed of intelligence and maturity this is how fellow artist should articulate them self when they come under similar fire from these promoters bless up assassin ..

propaway:
Posted by propaway | March 31, 2009 2:03 PM

big up assassin!!! Dem Neva know say a intelligent yute dem up against, dem nuh know say yuh so versatile an full a metaphors?! Anyway a wha red stripe a deal wid, how dem a try so hard fi kill di music? Is like nuttn nuh name freedom of speech nuh more.

Datruth:
Posted by Datruth | March 31, 2009 2:35 PM

Mark my words being heterosexuals will be the minority soon. It so sad how people will sell there soul for money and promote slackness. The guys are running the world. And no one is doing anything about it. Soon they will get rid of the bible. Remember people these are things prophesy that must come to past. Jamaica always wanted to be like foreign, now they got it but now they seeing the backlash. Buoy I miss my sweet sweet Jamaica, the way we where independent. Now we have incorporate the American lifestyle. Jamaica did this to demself.

I will never lower my morals for money (Sizzla,Beenie man, Buju etc...) It just shows there true character if you submit to these sodomites request. Jamaica will never recover from this.

Some jamaican artist are hypocrites, look how long americans been making fun of Jamaicans, and now you want to go work with an american artist. But the funny thing is when these same american artist them rap bad about gays, the gats don't say nothing.

so what:
Posted by so what | March 31, 2009 2:44 PM

ASSASIN TAKE THIS AS A CAREER LEAP, ANY PUBLICITY IS GOOD PUBLICITY, ESPECIAL THIS ONE, I HAVENT HEARD ANYTHIG FROM YOU FOR AWHILE NOT BECAUSE YOUR NOT GOOD BECAUSE YOUR IN A CLASS BY YOURSELF, BUT BECAUSE YOUR NOT A PASSA PASSA KIND OF DJ, AND THATS WHY YOUR SO SPECIAL. YOUR CLASSY AND SEXY AND SMART AND DEFINATELY A FAMILY MANN.
BOYCOTT, REDSTRIPE
BOYCOTT, REDSTRIPE
BOYCOTT
BOYCOTT
ANYONE DRINK REDSTRIPE AFTER TODAY IS B*TTY MAN

Gravy:
Posted by Gravy | March 31, 2009 2:46 PM

Wah Dat Fah!!!! Don't apolojize to no b*tty boy

wat hurts is the fact that Sassin rehersed in their presence and no complaints were made. that show's it was planned to obscure the righteous DJ's brand...
dem nah joke wen dem seh b*tty man ah tek ova JA

Toni:
Posted by Toni | March 31, 2009 3:14 PM

You know I never really had a problem with 'gays' until they start trying to disrupt and dictate how we should what and what not we are allowed to say... I read on mediatakeout where they are boycotting all Jamaican products and they refuse to come here because in their words ' Jamaica is way too homopohic and violent towards them" They feel they can dangle cash in our faces and we will bow down to them... HAHAHAHAHA PLEASE! Now they pulled the artiste's set beacuse he said fish? Lol are you kiddng me? So now we the people of Jamaica who aren't in agreement with this lifesytle can't speak? What a piece a sage, Guess we are no longer a free speech nation. Assassin never mind, we know and see your work and we the public know that your an educated ,intelligent artiste..... Your fans are only disappointed your time was cut short because of foolishness and batty policis!

toni:
Posted by toni | March 31, 2009 5:53 PM

****meant to say ' how we should live and what and what not to say... And politics at the end..

Da Man:
Posted by Da Man | March 31, 2009 6:42 PM

Let me get this straight. First they boycotted our artistes saying they were too violent. Now the artistes are not allowed to insinuate, infer, mention or otherwise say anything about gays? A how dem so powerful? To all gay people, censoring people will not take away that feeling of shame when you wake up and see someone of the same sex in the bed with you.It will not allow you to procreate. Note carefully, censorship is not acceptance. So censor away.
Peace

PAIN:
Posted by PAIN | March 31, 2009 7:20 PM

SASSIN U SHOULDA NEVA BOW DUNG TO RED STRIPE AFTA DEM A FIGHT DANCEHALL.U A TRY BE PRETTY BWOY A RUN GUH TO DEM A DAT U FI GET! NAH BOW TO NO B*TTY BWAY! U A LICK OUT AGAINCE FISH AND GONE INA D SEA GONE PERFORM..HOW SMART!! LOOK LIKE U DIDA MATE WID A SNAPPER!

I LOVE JAMAICA:
Posted by I LOVE JAMAICA | March 31, 2009 7:56 PM

ASSASSIN BIG UP YOURSELF,STR888 TO DI CORE!
SAD TO SAY..THIS IS ONLY THE START.FISH ARE TRYING TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD,THEY HOLD THE HIGHEST POSITIONS IN THE WORLD IN THE CORPORATE FIELD AND OTHERWISE.THEY HAVE NOW SET UP A DIRECT
ATTACK AGAINST JAMAICA AND IF WE SIT BACK AND ALLOW IT,JAMAICA WILL BE DOMINATED BY SHARKS.
TRUST ME,THEY ARE OUT FOR BLOOD.RIGHT NOW THEY HAVE SET UP A LAUNCH TO TRY AND BLOCK ALL FOREIGN AID AND IS TRYING TO DETER TOURIST FROM COMING TO JA..DONT TAKE THEM LIGHTLY.THEY ARE TRYING TO FORCE JA GOV.INTO DOING AWAY WITH THE BUGGERY LAWS.PEOPLE IT IS TIME TO WISE UP AND BAN TOGETHER TO FIGHT THEM.WE HAVE TO DO IT FOR
THE KIDS AND OUR MUSIC.IF WE BOW TO THEM ON THIS,
WE WILL BE BOWING FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES.WE GOTTA STAND UP FOR SOMETHING OR FALL FOR EVERYTHING.WE ALSO GOTTA STOP THE VIOLENCE!

Do wha:
Posted by Do wha | April 1, 2009 5:18 AM

Assassin is the next man to lose visa. No more
Europe, no more USA, no more Canada. He can practice "freedom of speech" in a dutty backyard,
sing for the fish in the sea.

Kiki:
Posted by Kiki | April 1, 2009 10:58 AM

I love him!! he is soooo HOT!

loy:
Posted by loy | April 1, 2009 2:10 PM

Are they the promoters of red strip all offended because they are all fishes????

meleon:
Posted by meleon | April 1, 2009 9:48 PM

Well! Well! Well! Fishism has struck once more!

@ Toni; yes girl I read di article in Mediatakeout too. But mi question to all di b*tty man dem weh a run off dem mouth and a spread propaganda bout how Jamaicans are physically violent towards gays (Cause to how dem talk u woulda think seh wi just a walk and kill dem on sight without provocation). No di questions to all u rumpists out there reading this blog... How come I don't hear none a u commenting on the poor little 9 year old boy that was brutally raped and mudered couple weeks ago by a man who was said to be of "unsound mind"? As far as I am concerned him did dam well know weh him a do. What about the 15 year old bwoy weh rape di 11 year old yesterday or day b 4 yesterday? What about the man that thought he was going to do an interview only to be held down by di interviewer and almost raped? Good thing him friend did go wid him and call di police before it get worst! How come I can't hear none of u all condemning those atrociousness? What about di Gay tourist that went to Mobay and drug di bwoy and rape him? A dem sitten deh unnuh want wi fi open wi country to and condone?

Unnuh know di message weh unnuh a sen me now? When a batty man molest another man or people bwoy pickny it is OK by u Gays because unnuh always in di right! Unnuh nevva have nutten fi seh yet when unnuh own commit di crime, But mek smaddy kill one a unnuh fi force unnuhself pon decent people and unnuh readdy fi boycott dis and have outrage bout dat!

Mek mi tell unnuh dis fiddi last time...Jamaicans dont walk an hunt down B*ttymen... more b*ttyman kill each other over jealousy fi batty dan straight people killing Gays! More b*ttymen molest and kill children over here dan Straight people killing Gays! When Jamaican kill unnuh raas is when unnuh pass unnuh likkle dutty place rape dem or dem bwoy pickney! Dem will beat unnuh if unnuh try fi indocrinate dem inna unnuh nasty livity or try to rub our faces into unnuh nasty way of life with aggressive provocation. If unnuh nuh trouble we, den wi nuh trouble unnuh!

No Jamaican cares what unnuh do inna unnuh bedrooms, wi just dont want it on our streets in our faces. After straight people naa walk and a dig out dem one-annedda-throats wid dem tongue inna public, suh why should unnuh get dat right?

Ban and Boycott all unnuh want, it just naa go change how wi feel bout it. Betta unnuh mek sleeping dogs lie and mek we Jamaicans accept it on our own terms in our own time. Beleive me, trying to force our hands is not in the best interest of u Gays at all!

As fi unnuh Redstripe people...mi done wid unnuh raas! Banks Beer mi a pree now. Nuh artiste nuffi do nuh show fi unnuh again. Go get unnuh battyman entertainers dem fi put pon unnuh show!

Toni:
Posted by Toni | April 2, 2009 9:34 AM

@meleon... Girl i usually don't comment on mediatakeout because it seems like the little dutty african Fred that run it have a strong problem with Jamaicans, every story they have up about us has something negative in it... I had to comment on this one however and make them know that they can ban and boycott Jamaica because we don't care, We don't want nor care for their money, This is one country they are not going to infest and take over... They know it's a lifestyle and i don't get why they keep forcing this unnatural way on people. I don't see 'straight' people forcing anything on them.. They just want every demand they have to be met, but that's not going to happen.It's not accepted here, but nobody don't run around hunting gays, but if they push it in people's face of course you will get a reaction.... They are so annoying, it's unbelievable, I am all for equal rights and all but these gays are way too pushy and they are trying to dictate to us what we should do and how and what we should say. I read where Red Stripe has issued an apology to Assasin, so i guess they are acknowledging that they were wrong, but if i was an entertainer i would boycott a company that would censor my belief to make another feel more at ease... Free speech, for a free nation!

Can:
Posted by Can | April 2, 2009 3:33 PM

No babes, ur not at fault, but u need to understand that Diageo owns Red Stripe, & Diageo is a European company & the fishes are quite powerful in Europe, hence the discontinuation of all Red Stripe sponsorship of Jamaica's stage shows & ur removal from stage.

So, and all artistes need to know this, its not expletives why Red Stripe doesnt sponsor live events anymore, it's our artistes continuation of burning out the fish lifestyle. So dont sign onto their shows if ur songs include negative lines about fish behaviour.

Afghanistan:
Posted by Afghanistan | April 3, 2009 9:57 AM

red stripe dem a fassy, a same way dem put on konshens early n a him a one a d headline artist..hellllooooo...a him du d raasclaaat ad. red stripe fi f**k off