« Flamze...A Ball of Fire for The Airwaves | Main | DJ Vybz Kartel’s Honda Accord bombed? »

Dancehall Artiste Spragga Benz's son gunned down by Cops

By Krazy Katty
OutAroad.com Writer

spragga_benz_son_dead_artiste_man.jpgSpragga Benz is now mourning the loss of his 17 year-old son Carlton Grant who was gunned down by police last night (August 23, 2008).

According to police reports at about minutes to 12 members of a police squad were patrolling Down Town Kingston when they pounced upon two men riding a bicycle along Church Street. The men were signaled to stop which they did. The officers then approached the men when one of the men pulled a handgun and fired several shots at the officers. The lawmen then returned fire hitting Grant who ran but was later found suffering from gunshot wounds. Grant was rushed to Kingston Public Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Grant was relieved of a semi-Automatic pistol with the serial #N33142.

OutAroad.com tried several times to get in touch with Spragga Benz but later discovered that he was on some overseas engagements.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lovee ranking:
Posted by lovee ranking | August 25, 2008 6:31 AM

unbelievable! wtf was spragga benz son riding around on his bike with a semi-automatic gun? idiot ting dat. sas.

machine01:
Posted by machine01 | August 25, 2008 7:59 AM

SAME OLE BL''DCL''T STORY EVERYTIME,THEY WERE POUNCED UP AND AND THEY OPEN FIRE,THE POLICE DEM CAAN FIND SUMETHIN DIFFERENT FE SAY INNA DEM REPORT ,NOW IF ME A HAV MY GUN AND ME KNOW SAY POLICE SIGNAL ME FE STOP ME NAW BL''DCL''T STOP ME A BEAT IT AND CUT IS DO OR DIE ,Y WAIT TILL DEM COM STOP A YU FOOT AND DEN FIRE THE GUN, A LIE DEM POLICE BOY DEH A TELL,DE YUTE DEM CUDDA DONT EVEN HAV NUTTIN PON DEM,A SO POLICE TRIGGA HAPPY DEM NEED SOME P'''YCL''T DISCIPLINE,CONDOLENCES GOES OUT DJ SORRY FE HEAR DAT BLESS, KEEP UR HEAD UP IT'S SO SAD DAT THE YUTES DEM HAFFI GET WIPE OUT SO

Posted by blessed | August 25, 2008 8:58 AM

My, condolence to spragga and his family,
I can't describe the hurt I feel for him
right now.Please spragga stay strong and pray
pray God will help you through this in time.

StcyLimit:
Posted by StcyLimit | August 25, 2008 9:25 AM

I know this is a lie...Carylyle RIP...him jus pick up his CXC results on fi friday...the police cannot continue to take and kill our kids so...I can swear and put my head on a block for this lickle bwoy, no gun him neva have, poor Carlyle...jus tru dem see him dung a Telaviv dem say him mus bad but him no come from dung dere him a jus a visit him madda....if di killing was justified, why di r*ss di police kill himself? normally when dem kill anybody else dem claim to find .38 but tru a di artiste son, is a 45?? liessssssssssss...me head a hat me!!

Can:
Posted by Can | August 25, 2008 10:11 AM

While I sympathize with anyone who has lost a child, I must state that children are products of what they learn and therefore live what they learn. Therefore it is the duty of parents to guide their children in the proper way to grow and to keep them away from the negative influences in life as much as possible.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2008 10:42 AM

Condolences goes out to Spragga & the entire Grant family & friends

TALK THE TINGS:
Posted by TALK THE TINGS | August 25, 2008 10:45 AM

MY HEART GO'S OUT TO SPRAAGA AND IS FAMILY, THE POLICE DEM NEVER DO NOTHING YET, THEM ALWAYS A SAY SOMEBODY START IT FIRST WHEN THEM DAMN WELL KNOW SAY A DEM KILL OFF THE LITTLE BOY, HE WAS ONLY 17 YEARS OLD. THIS IS REALLY SAD

toni:
Posted by toni | August 25, 2008 11:06 AM

So sad... bless up Spragga Benz .... no parent should have to bury their kids... kids should bury their parents....

properway:
Posted by properway | August 25, 2008 11:39 AM

man dem ave gun gun an get 'signalled fi stop', so dem obey an stopped an a dem time deh dem decide fi open fire pon po-lies?! Interesting! They do dat shyt all di time, find di likkle yute dem wid a strap an kill dem instead of bringing dem in fi stand trial.

Posted by sweet thing | August 25, 2008 11:45 AM

i heard the news it is sad and i hope the family can over come this great lost of the love one, better days are coming for sure

TALK THE TINGS:
Posted by TALK THE TINGS | August 25, 2008 11:51 AM

StcyLimit I KNOW WHO YOU FEEL. PURE LIES GIRL THEM POLICE DEY NEVER DO NOTHING YET NOTHING THEM ALWAYS TELLING LIE. I KNOW HE WOULD BE IN COLLEGE YOU NUH BUT THE POLICE DEM TEK HIM LIFE

Heartbroken:
Posted by Heartbroken | August 25, 2008 12:10 PM

Condolences to the entire Grant family, Spragga i do hope you recover from this. It will take time but be strong and keep doing what you do, if only for the memory of your son.

Bless

Rmak:
Posted by Rmak | August 25, 2008 12:21 PM

jah know spragga babylon nuh w wi ah r*as.Dutty police nevah get shot yet but them always ah shot gunman. U telling me the yute have 12 police fi shoot and nevah hit one!!!! Dem damn lie police nuh know nutten bout protecting or serving unnuh muss stop plant gun pon innocent people. Den unnuh wonder why crime high unnuh gweh!!!!

TALK THE TINGS:
Posted by TALK THE TINGS | August 25, 2008 12:34 PM

THE MAN HAVE HIM SHOW DEM FE DO I DON'T KNOW HOW HIM A GO FOCUS. ALL IN A THE MAN HEAD NOW A HIM DEAD PICKNEY, WHEN HIM FE THING PAN WHAT HIM A GO GIVE HIM FE GO BACK A SCHOOL, HIM HAVE TO A PLAN BURY IS OWN SON, THAT IS TOO MUCH, ALL NOW ME CAN'T TAP TYPE ME SO MAD SAD EVERYTHING IN A ONE, CARLTON JUST BE STRONG EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE ALL RIGHT

BASH:
Posted by BASH | August 25, 2008 1:10 PM

I AM SO SADDENED BY THIS NEW FROM MI HEAR ABOUT 2 HOURS AFTER IT HAPPEN MI CYAAN EAT OR SLEEP. I KNOW CARLYLE AND TRUST ME HE WAS A GOOD YUTE. DE DAMN POLICE LIE AND DEM NEED FE STOP KILL OFF PEOPLE DEM WAY DEH IYAH!! JAMAICA WE NEED TO WAKE UP AND STOP DE KILLING ALTOGETHER. TOO MUCH LIVES ARE BEING LOST AND WE DON'T WANT TO SEE THIS HAPPEN AGAIN. SPRAGGA AND FAMILY YOU KNOW MY HEART IS WITH YOU ALL IN THIS TIME..JAH WILL KEEP AND GUIDE YOU ALL!! CARLYLE REST IN PEACE..SLEEP WITH ANGELS!!!

MY CONDOLENCES SPRAGGA

Deeks:
Posted by Deeks | August 25, 2008 1:29 PM

Condolences to Spragga n Sharon and all the rest of their families... R.I.P. Carlyle ... taken b4 ur time..... the earlier post right(StcyLimit), the police are always in Telaviv, so tru dem see him there they probably assume he's a bad kid but I know him n watched him grow n he was a good kid, very level headed n focused.... police, 5o's, criminals with badges plz remember that killing should be a last resort, not the main source to gain promotion in the force r to gain recognition. Unnu nuh love life, dats y unnu caan go thru di day n night dem without smoking n drinking, unnu caan live wid unnu self.... same way unnu kill di madman same place downtown... Babylon n it's workers n slaves shall soon be cut off....

StacyLimit:
Posted by StacyLimit | August 25, 2008 4:05 PM

I grew up in Telaviv and i know how di police love pick pon di yutes and me know say Carlyle innocent, wey carlyle fi get gun from? Poor Carlyle only God knows..carlyle you touched so many ppl lives in so little time...we are love and miss you...God never leave di world without a witness Carlyle dem ago get fi dem me say murderrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ambassador:
Posted by ambassador | August 25, 2008 5:08 PM

Jah kno spragga dis is jus like shottas but a inna real life.. Di babylon gun dung di man likkle 17 year old son an recycle dem story an plant gun pon di likkle ute. Wen di system aguh change an become less corrupted??As biggsdid tell yuh still yuh c police an politician..Wi caan trust none a dem bwoy deh rude bwoy. Condolences!!

inna:
Posted by inna | August 25, 2008 5:56 PM

Here we a go AGAIN.

Okay now - address this? Man, oman? Who does the *work* of embracing our yutes? WE KNOW how guns are obtained....

Who wants to do the work? ANYONE?

I thought not - okay, which yute do we give up as sacrifice next..

raskronik:
Posted by raskronik | August 25, 2008 7:13 PM

ANY ONE REMEMBER.... SINS OF THE FATHER SHALL BE INHERITED BY THE YUTES......... THE YUTE MIGHT BE INNOCENT STILL AND POLICE NEVA AFFI SHOOT HIM BUT PARENTS SINS WILL COME ON THEIR CHILDREN. MEMBA THIS GOD NUH SLEEP.

cantab:
Posted by cantab | August 25, 2008 9:12 PM

even if him have a gun p*ssy hole love ranking dem dont have to shoot to kill.

DELLY RANX:
Posted by DELLY RANX | August 25, 2008 9:17 PM

MY CONDOLENCES GOES OUT TO SPRAGGA BENZ AND THE FAMILY,I ALREADY KNOW SAY A LIE THE POLICE DEM A TELL,MI NAH AND MI CANT TRUST DEM.JUST STAY STRON MI BREDDA

missy:
Posted by missy | August 25, 2008 10:38 PM

SUCH A PROMISING YOUNG MAN WITH 6CXC'S WHAT A WASTE. HE IS SO HANDSOME AND SWEET.I FEEL FOR THE FAMILY

Keriann:
Posted by Keriann | August 26, 2008 9:41 AM

MY CONDOLENCES GOES OUT TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

Doubter:
Posted by Doubter | August 26, 2008 9:48 AM

Question for the masses, cause I must be stupid.

You know seh Jamaican police love shoot people who no inna Lexus and Bimma. What the hell you a do a Church Street on bicycle at midnight ?

Stay inna your damn yard after ten pm. Him father a Spragga, him no have one house inna de hill dem somewhere can live ? Or some non-Ghetto area ?

Him a try keep it real or something ?

Reality is police no like poor people more than so, worse if you are a young man.

I am over thirty, look nothing like a criminal, and when police stop me a night time, me fret no hell, cause is my word gainst theirs and me can't tell when me see police go jail fi murder yet.

RUDEBWOY:
Posted by RUDEBWOY | August 26, 2008 10:38 AM

RIP TO YOUNG SPRAGGA AKA CARLYLE GRANT JR....

MI FEEL PAIN INNA MI CHEST FI SPRAGGA AS A FADDA. BARE SHOT FI BUSS PON DI POLICE STATION OVER DEH SUH.....DI OFFICER DAT KILL DI YUTE FI GET MURDA!!!!!!!!!! NO JOKE......AH EVIL KILL DI MAN SON.....EYE FI AH F**KIN EYE.....

Quels:
Posted by Quels | August 26, 2008 10:46 AM

Spragga as a mother of two boys mi don't know ur pain but I can understand...As a Jamaican immigrant, mi fraid fi guh back to mi country wid mi husband and mi kids because of the police dem...When mi wi guh some places weh ppl seh a pure bad man etc, mi rather guh there than a police station...Late night mi more fraid if mi see police on a lonely road dan a group of ppl..Is a sad Jamaica..N isn't it funny di way dem quick fi gi serial number?? When since dat a protocol?? Spragga blessings to you and the family...

BASH:
Posted by BASH | August 26, 2008 12:38 PM

IN RESPONSE TO THE PREVIOUS POST POSTED BY DOUBTER

FIRST I MUST SAY THAT IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT HE MAY HAVE BEEN DOING ON A BIKE AT MIDNIGHT ON CHURCH STREET, THAT IS NO REASON FOR THE POLICE TO SHOOT HIM UP LIKE HIM A DAWG!!!!

SECONDLY HE WAS IN THAT AREA VISITING HIS MOTHER AND WAS ON HIS WAY TO PARTY. ARE YOU SAYING HE SHOULD NOT VISIT HIS MOTHER BECAUSE OF THE AREA SHE LIVES AND THE FACT THAT HE LIVES IN THE HILLS??

YOW MY YUTE FE SOMEONE OVER THIRTY YUH NUH SOUND TOO BRIGHT A BRING UP DEM DEH ARGUMENT WHEN A LIKKLE YUTE WEH A JUS 17 JUST LOSE HIM LIFE. AH WHAMPIN TUH YUH STARR?? THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR POLICE OR ANYONE FE TEK A NEX PERSON LIFE IYAH BECAUSE A WEH DEM DEH OR BECAUSE A DE POWER DEM FEEL DEM HAVE. NO ONE EVA EXPECT WHEN DEM A GUH DEAD...OHHHH AND NUH BADDA ACT LIKE SEH BAD TINGS CYAAN HAPPEN INNA DE HILLS. SH*T HAPPENS EVERYWHERE MY YUTE. AH HIM MADDA HIM DID A VISIT AND ON HIS WAY TO A PARTY AH WAH PEOPLE INNA DE GARRISON NUH FE PARTY?? CHUH...YUH JUS MEK MI VEX A WAY!! A WORD OF WISDOM TO YOU...THINK BEFORE U SPEAK.

cumqik:
Posted by cumqik | August 26, 2008 1:01 PM

spragga,ohhh spragga weh mi fi seh to yuh than gwaan hold the faith,them innocently murda yuh son n mi crush from high school but them ago get fi dem man,d truth must cum out cuz jah jah nah sleep.........ma condolences...(sandy)

dabz:
Posted by dabz | August 26, 2008 4:23 PM

jah kwow star de police them repeat them self over an over we tired fi hear de some story every day u stop me an mi stop y me a go pull out a gun de police them tec people p***yhole.

Andre:
Posted by Andre | August 26, 2008 5:41 PM

Why are you people so willing to blame the Police? Isn't it possible one of them had a gun, and decided that he wasn't going to be caught with it? Spragga a chuck badness from long time, and this yute being his son could have been trying to do the same but failed. Or perhaps it was the other yute who drew the gun? Who knows? All i know is that the ghetto is not full of innocent people.

bshmntdred:
Posted by bshmntdred | August 26, 2008 5:58 PM

PLS ACCEPT SYMPATHY FROM ONE OF YUH MANY FANS.. WAT AH WEH FOR DE FADDA TO TEST YUH FAITH STAY STRONG KING. FIYAH FI ALL WHO CAH BLOW BREATH BUT WAH TEK LIFE....

Posted by Reece | August 26, 2008 7:08 PM

Carlyle live right in front of me and is my cousin and I love him! I'm so going to miss him esp since my dad made me take the bus bcuz of him and made me walk off the hill and all these!! All the late nights we stayed up and talked about our problems, all the crying and lol! All those parties and every day seeing you at my house etc!janoi misses you like crazy!

raskronik:
Posted by raskronik | August 26, 2008 7:31 PM

ANDRE IF MI DID DEH NEAR YUH MI SHAKE U HAND, SPRAGGA IS NO F**KING SAINT " SINS OF THE PARENTS SHALL BEFALL THEIR CHILDREN" NOT SAYIN THE POLICE SHUD KILL THE YUTE IN COLD BLOOD, BUT HE MAYBE CHUCKIN BADDNESS TOO OR A FOLLOW BAD COMPANY, WHY A NEVA HIM ALONE A RIDE BICYCLE WHY A TWO A DEM? OLD TIME PPL USE TO SAY SHOW MI U COMPANY AND MI TELL U WHO U ARE. THEIR IS A MESSAGE IN THIS FOR ALL OF US.... GOD NUH SLEEP

anno:
Posted by anno | August 26, 2008 8:59 PM

them a try get the dj fi come back a jamaica fi kill him so them tek out the son fi hom come back but the dj fi smarter than dat them police yah and bad man in one in the same a them give jamaica the bad name see deh them look up the man net son bout him wanted and them a hide them badge number them police yah sell we out fi a piece a bread

Gryna Physician:
Posted by Gryna Physician | August 26, 2008 10:52 PM

Boi Spragga mi not even kno how fi start,dawg I can bet its ur oldest son and I can bet its some of dem boi from adams squad because adams did inject them to kill and plant gunz so unless u and ur dawgs kill off all da squad deh its gonna stop,jus get mad and shoot off da squad deh str8 mek dem get a new squad star bcause a pure f_ckery dem boi deh a duh star...Guidance mi dawg and Sorry fi kno dat u loose ur son dem way deh star...Dnt get me werong now but the juviniles a buss the biggest gunz in ja rightnow so it can be true and at the same time it can b a lie,one love mi bredda

TIRED OF THE BULL:
Posted by TIRED OF THE BULL | August 26, 2008 11:07 PM

I AM SO TIRED OF THE PEOPLE WHO ARE SAYING SPRAGGA IS NO SAINT AND BLAH BLAH BLAH! BLAME THE FLIPPIN POLICE YES CAUSE WEH DEM DO WRONG PERIOD! EVEN IF ONE WAS TO SAY SPRAGGA ANNO SAINT HOW DEM KILL HIS SON STR8 OUT WRONG. HIM NEVER DESERVE IT AND HE WAS TRAVELLING WITH HIS BROTHER THAT'S THE OTHER BOY WITH HIM WHO LIVES IN THAT AREA WITH HIS MOTHER. IT NO MATTER WHO FAH CHILD GET KILL WRONGLY YOU STILL FEEL IT CAUSE THE KILLING WAS UNJUST. DE POLICE FE TALK FIRST, DISARM NEXT NUH SHOOT TO KILL AUTOMATICALLY. UNOO A TALK BOUT WEH HIM FADDA DUH AND TING BEFORE UNOO TRY DO SOMETHING POSITIVE FE MEK SURE IT NUH HAPPEN AGAIN TO NOBODY ELSE YUTE!!RISE UP AND SEE DE BIGGER PICTURE!! WHAMPIN TO THE PARENT WEH LIVE A GOOD LIFE AND DEM YUTE GET KILL WRONGLY? THE FOCUS SHOULD BE TO STOP WRONGFUL KILLING A DE PEOPLE.

DiMario:
Posted by DiMario | August 27, 2008 3:34 AM

I man totally shocked. As a father, is only GOD strength right now. Spragga, nuff support from the music fraternity. Supreme promotions family will be here to stand by you.

talk the tings:
Posted by talk the tings | August 27, 2008 8:39 AM

me know spragga personaly and he is the most loving person, him not even talk to me loud when ever we talk he is so soft spoken. and him no do no bad things all he do is try to help out the ghetto youth and spragga benz son feel fe go look fe him mother so what's wrong with that eh? the only problem is spragga should have taken is baby mother out of the ghetto even if them lef. but ooun no know spragga all these years carlton grant in a biz me never hear him in any damn f**king war with anyone yet so how the hell you fe a say the man is no sanit like u know him like that. ooun people is too much

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2008 12:37 PM

JAH KNO... FEEL IT 4 SPRAGGA :(

Posted by reece | August 27, 2008 1:02 PM

Carlyle was a good f**king youth! I know him personally and even if you say spragga might a chuk badness or whatever, you dnt go taking his son's life for it! Wy should his son pay for his mistakes or doins in life! For the person who wrote about that saint stuff, your evil and wicked for saying such thing! My brother and carlyle is best frenz, brother, family all in one and is known to be spragga son. We have to be looking out for him and keeping home bcuz ppl or police might even try and do him things, do you still that its justice? By the way imagine someone kills your child bcuz of your wrong doing! Next thing, murder is murder and takin someone else life whether good or bad is still wrong bcuz life is the one thing ppl can't blow back breath into!!! Those police men killed him bcuz of feud uncle Carlos was apart which had died out, those police have no right and I hope they dnt easy, I want them to suffer! And the another child that ran was ha younger brother, I know him also! The police told him run as he would never run leave his older brother!!! Ppl either you learn to protect yourself bcuz the police are just the same as the badman them, there not here to serve and protect us as you can see!!!

BABYLON AH BULLSHITTT:
Posted by BABYLON AH BULLSHITTT | August 27, 2008 3:10 PM

Ah Bl**dcloth Babylon ah always say dem lickle youth dem carry gun...but we kno a like dem nah like dem head....dem alwayz takin sombebody pickni away from dem...Me nah worry ah d most high must sen a judgement pon dem...FIRE AH BURN AH BABYLON..R.I.P Me lickle bredrin...do worry likcle more ah justice mus prevale for u

talk the tings:
Posted by talk the tings | August 27, 2008 5:29 PM

all know spragga out of it me a try call him phone and it lock off the man is so sad sad, him no wan talk to no body at allbwoy i tell you when him cool down mw will give him a next call lawd spragga just hold the faith

Posted by Anonymous | August 30, 2008 5:30 AM

Yu know it sad that all these charismatic words cant bring back someone any intelligent person could read between these lines an know that this yout was innocent these police in jamaica must stop treating people like this no matter what walks of life you from because i can guarantee because it was down town but as sizzla say just like in the olden dem babbylon fagot must brought to justice an get them head chop f**king off with is bisexual wife an kid why the f**k them choose to end a young man life like that weather him a spragga son or mr poverty.

Sandy:
Posted by Sandy | September 2, 2008 9:00 PM

Man i am very heartbroken....i knew Carlton from prep school days and he was a sweetheart, no one deserves to go out that way. My condolences to Spragga and his family.

TenTen:
Posted by TenTen | September 4, 2008 2:13 PM

I would like to offer my deepest condolences to the entire Grant family especially the parents. It is truly unfortunate to lose a child under any circumstances. After reading all the above postings, I would like to say this as a parent, and a Jamaican; we are all aware of the crime, violence, and police brutality that has existed in Jamaica for the decades, but we abroad and presently in Jamaica will not unite against all forms of violence! I know it sound idealistic but this something Jamaica needs. Parents shouldn’t have to lock up their sons and the police shouldn’t act only as a force, but community partners and protectors. Have we all forgoten "Out of many One people"

LadySpragga:
Posted by LadySpragga | September 9, 2008 6:40 PM

It is so sad that the youth in Jamaica can't walk or ride down the street without some type of violence popin off. My prayers and condolences go out to Spragga and the families that are affected by this tragety. Im not Jamaican but I'm black. And the most important thing that I have learned is that black people around the world need 2 stick together. No matter what nationality, its time 2 stand together as one. I pray that I live 2 see a black president 4 America. Go Barack Obama.

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2008 7:34 PM

The Jamaican Police are worse than the Criminals, They use their authority in very abusive ways. They are THUGS in uniforms and will pay for their dirty deeds, no wonder they don't get any respect.

What A Stress:
Posted by What A Stress | September 12, 2008 1:23 AM

Laawwwd have mercy! Yo, is like Carlyle getting murdered is just starting to sink in, from last night mi just zone out. I can just imagine what Spragga and Sharon are going through, my heart bleeds for dem,trust mi. Nuff love and strength may the lord deliver strength and peace unto your family. Friend fi life! Keep yuh head friend....God naaw sleep! RIP Carlyle

Poseidon:
Posted by Poseidon | September 13, 2008 11:04 AM

For the whole truth check this out:
Carlton Grant (Spragga Son) Murder Witness Statement: